This wiki has moved - see http://wiki.effectivealtruismhub.com/w/index.phpEdit
Effective Altruists are here to help change the world for the better! And we're open to whatever lets us do that most effectively, be it hard evidence or new ways of thinking.
- Rigorous cost-effectiveness evaluation of charities by research teams such as GiveWell
- Career strategies such earning to give
- A global focus, putting into practice the idea that we shouldn't discriminate based on nationality. Some people expand their circle further to include non-human animals and future generations
- Transparency, sharing ideas and being open to criticism
- Forming communities (through hundreds of local groups around the world, and membership organizations such as Giving What We Can and The Life You Can Save) to get strength in numbers
The EA Community - Getting Involved Edit
If you're not a native English speaker, check out the Non-English language EA venues.
Staying informed is crucial to the EA philosophy. The library links to an extensive amount of EA information on the web. Charity evaluators such as GiveWell, Giving What We Can and Animal Charity Evaluators have performed in-depth research into many charities and provide detailed write-ups including recommendations.
A key part of effective altruism is donating. Earning to give is a career strategy aimed at raising funds through high-paying work, and donating a significant portion. Some donors are concerned with making donations public, and with tax efficiency.