Organisations that identify as 'effective altruist'Edit
- Animal Charity Evaluators (formerly known as Effective Animal Activism)
- Centre for Applied Rationality
- Centre for Effective Altruism
- Charity Science
- EA Ventures (separate from CEA?)
- Giordano Bruno Stiftung (running projects such as Effective Altruism Switzerland (EACH) and Raising for Effective Giving)
See also Comparison of organisations, which gives budget figures.
Effective direct charitiesEdit
Direct charities are those which conduct programs which help people or animals in relatively direct ways, as opposed to meta charities, which typically move resources to direct charities. There is a range of opinions within effective altruism, but popular causes areas include global poverty, animal welfare and existential risk.
GiveWell also recommends the following as "standout charities":
- Development Media International (DMI)
- The Global Alliance for Improved Nutrition (GAIN) - Universal Salt Iodization (USI) program
- International Council for the Control of Iodine Deficiency Disorders Global Network (ICCIDD)
- Living Goods
Giving What We Can also recommends:
The Life You Can Save also has several recommendations. Charity Science recommends following GiveWell's picks.
And they also recommend the following as "standout charities":
- Albert Schweitzer Foundation
- The Humane Society of the United States
- Farm Animal Rights Movement (FARM)
- Vegan Outreach
For an older (2012) and less rigorous review of animal charities, see Effectiveness of animal charities.